- Written by Yvonne Unubun
New York, NY – On Saturday, September 27, the Nigerian community in the U.S. came together at the Grand Ballroom in New York City for the Nigeria Centenary U.S Awards (NCUSA) to recognize individuals and organizations for their achievements and commitment to society as part of the celebrations to mark Nigeria’s 100 years as a nation.
In attendance were His Excellency, Amb. Habib Habu Baba the Consul General of the Nigerian Consulate in New York, who gave the opening address for the evening, Bob Brunner the VP of Marketing/Sales for Arik Airlines, also the official airline sponsor for the awards and Dr. Bola Omotosho, Chairman of the NCUSA planning committee among other notable guests from all across the U.S, Nigeria, and even the U.K.
The award ceremony was hosted by Dayo Olomu and Comedian Simon Adeniyi, with entertaining performances by Kaline, Michael Dada, ASAMPETE dancers, Canaan Sisters, Phrey Tunez as well as fashion feature presentations by Nigerian designers Oyato and Nice Trads. The highlight of the evening were the awardees that were honored to be recognized and celebrated by their own community. Some of the award recipients include Chetachi Ecton of Chibase, Oliver Oscar Mbamara, Femi Ojetunde, Dr. Yetunde Odugbesan-Omede, Hon. Ugochukwu Nwaokor, the deputy mayor of Newark, Michael Ikotun of Applause Africa, Mary Olushoga of the AWPNetwork, Jason Njoku of iROKO TV, and Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, Govenor of Ondo State to mention a few.
During their acceptance speeches the awardees thanked the NCUSA committee, expressing their deepest appreciation for the recognition, and saw the award as a drive to do even more for the Nigerian community and society at large. In his acceptance speech Stephen Hendel, the co-producer of FELA!, described himself as an honorary Nigerian, and went on to say he was thankful for the warm reception and love shown to him by Nigerians all over. Recipients continued to share inspiring stories of their charity works and achievements, their journey to success and how they used adverse times as motivation to chase their dreams even harder, to rousing applause from the audience.
Prince Chris Enweremadu, the CEO of Royal Maids and Chairman of the NCUSA planning committee gave the welcome address and vote of thanks. He expressed sincere gratitude to everyone in attendance for their support, and went on to thank members of the planning committee, sponsors, partners, volunteers and well-wishers for their respective roles in making the event a huge success. The NCUSA was organized by Royal Maids in collaboration with the Consulate General of Nigeria in New York. Prominent event organizers include Yetunde Oso, CEO of The UpperRoom Events and Yvonne Unubun of Mayven PR. Major sponsors include Ocean Glory, Chibase, Win Foundation, and Arik Air, supported by a host of other generous sponsors. Media partners include AfricanEvents.com, Africa.com, Applause Africa and Sahara TV.
For more information on the NCUSA visit www.nigeriacentenaryusa.com. See below for a complete list of honorees.
1. Deputy Mayor Hon. Ugochukwu Nwaokoro Deputy Mayor of Newark, New Jersey
2. Abdullahi A. Dauda – President of Nigerian in Diaspora Organization –NJ – NiDO-NJ.
3. Jason Njoku of IROKOTV
4. Dr. Yetunde Odugbesan-Omede – Professor, Author and Philanthropist
5. Tope Ganiyah Fajingbesi – CPA, Author and Entrepreneur.
6. Khurairah Musa – Founder Khuraira Cosmetics, Celebrity Makeup Artist
7. Stephen Hendel – Co-Conceiver/Lead Producer of FELA!.
8. Dr. Micheal Etomi – First black nephrologist in Charlotte, Vice President of Metrolina
9. Oby Nwaogbe – TV Producer, News Reporter and Founder of OBOne Productions
10. Femi Ojetunde – Music Producer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.
11. Dr. Godgive Okoli – President of Nigerian Nurses Association in the USA
12. ChiChi Dike Emeson – CEO/Founder of Miss Nigeria in America Pageant
13. Mr. and Mrs. Okey and Leslie Nwoke – founders of Making Noise Inc. (non-profit organization)
14. Tosan Aduayi – Founder and Publisher of Trendy Africa Magazine
15. Dr. Oluyemi Badero – A Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
16. Dr. Enobong Imeh Akpan – built and furnished a library for her local community called Ubom Memorial Library
17. Dr. Sylvester Okere – Founder and President, Maryland-Nigeria Chamber of Commerce, and Senior Principal at Strategic Groups LLC
18. Luvvie Ajayi – writer, digital strategist and Executive Director of The Red Pump Project
19. Rev. Hon. David B. Kayode – Minister at Maranatha Baptist Church
20. Reverend Jerry Eziomano Odugala – Founder, Redemption Voice Ministries Inc. Project
21. Jude Arijaje – Entreprenuer and Founder Minuteman Press Int’l
22. Dr. Ayo and Alice Ajim – Founders/CEO Grace Emergency Rooms
23. Hon. Judge Oliver Oscar Mbamara – Attorney and New York State Admin Judge, Filmmaker, Writer, and Publisher
24. Hon. (Chief) Sir Albert Onyema Ukaigwe – President of PU Financial Services, LLC. and the Broker of Record for Home King Realty Corporation.
25. Dr. Taiye Apoeso – certified pediatrician in New York and Founder of Vacation Bible Summer camp.
26. Tiffany Aliche – owner of The Budgetnista, speaker, author and finance coach
27. Mary Olushoga – Founder of awpnetwork.com
28. Micheal Ikotun and Debo Folorunsho – Founders Applause Africa Magazine
29. Beulah Osueke – Founder and CEO of Rise Africa
30. Senator Dr. Patrick Ayo Akinyelure – Chairman, Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions Nigeria.
31. Nexus U. Sea – President of the Nigerian Lawyers Organization.
32. Yomi Sijuade – Founder, CEO of the African Healthcare Development Group.
33. Ambassador Peter Cole – Managing Director of OCEANGLOCOM, member of the Lagos Pilotage District Berthing Committee
34. Dr. Olatunde Olulesi –co-founder Nigerian Social Workers Association of USA,
35. Chetachi Ecton – President & CEO of ChiBase Production & WIN
36. Olaleye Isaiah Alao – The Family Federation for World Peace and
37. Governor Olusegun Mimiko – Gov. of Ondo State
38. Yomi Lawal – Regional Director NAPACUSA (Nigeria American Political Action Committee).
39. Nigerian Lawyers Association –
40. The Organization for the Advancement of Nigerians (OAN) Inc.
41. Nollywood Producers Guild, USA (NPG,USA)
42. Nigerian Nurses Association in the USA
43. Nigerians in the Diaspora Organization (NIDO)
44. Nigerian American Public Affairs Committee
45. NGWA Cultural Organization (NCO)
46. Ngwa Young Professionals (NYP)
47. Kor Foundation
48. Dr. Bola Omotosho NCUSA Committee, President of the Board of Directors of the Mount Hope Housing Company Inc.
- Created: 06 October 2014